Information about the Tokyo Marathon 2021 for anyone involved.
Thorough COVID-19 countermeasures will be implemented within Tokyo Marathon 2021(Sunday, October 17, 2021) in accordance with the Japan Association of Athletics Federations’ “Guidance for Return of Road Races,” etc.
Also, we have established the COVID-19 Countermeasure Committee and the COVID-19Investigative Committee, composed of members from the race managements, medical team, administrative entities, and other related parties to examine possible countermeasures.
At present, these countermeasures are as indicated below.
Fundamental Countermeasure Policy (Core Countermeasures)
- Management of the health of runners, volunteers, staff, and other related parties.
- Avoiding the “Three Cs” (Closed spaces, Crowded places, and Close-contact settings) within operation.
- Use of a health-management app.
- Body temperature check at the Packet Pick-up and on the race day at the start area.
- Deliberation on pre-COVID-19 testing to detect possible infection.
- Revised the field size (downsizing to 25,000 from 38,000) to ensure social distance (1 runner per m²) at the start.
- Introducing wave starts.
- Implementing mask requirements and prevent close-range conversations.
- Reviewing and revising the methods for providing runners with water and food (use of cups with lids for hydration and individually wrapped food at designated tables).
- Removing baggage check option.
- Switching changing area/space from indoor to open-air.
We will continue to communicate with our runners, volunteers, and all personnel involved in the event to cooperate with the initiated countermeasures against the communicable disease to deliver a safe and secure event.