At the Board of Directors Meeting for the second Go/No-Go decision, the Tokyo Marathon Foundation has made the decision that overseas runners will not participate in the Tokyo Marathon 2021 due to continued strict border restrictions in place for travelers entering Japan and the uncertainty of when they will be lifted.
In line with this decision, the entries of the overseas runners will be deferred to the 2023 event.
Further details will be separately announced as soon as determined.
We regret this difficult decision, and we would like to express our sincere appreciation to all our overseas runners for the understanding and support during these challenging times.
<Message from the Tokyo Marathon Race Director, Tad Hayano>
The Tokyo Marathon organizing committee, along with the COVID-19 Investigative Committee, and other local partners and experts have been closely monitoring the COVID-19 situation worldwide in preparation for the event. With the strict border control of Japan that is currently in place, we have made the difficult decision to announce that our overseas runners will not be able to participate in the Tokyo Marathon 2021.
For all runners who have been preparing and looking forward to race day, we understand your disappointment and we express our sincere apologies for the situation we are in and the necessary decision we have had to make.
All overseas runners who were registered for 2021 will have the option to defer to the 2023 event. More information on this will be shared in the coming weeks and months.
We look forward to the day when we can unite safely, and be together again at the Tokyo Marathon. We thank you very much for your continued support of our team and our event.
<Tokyo Marathon 2021 Future Schedule>
- June 23 (Wed) - 30 (Wed): Event fee payment due
- July (DTBD): Elite and Wheelchair Elite athlete registration
- August 5 (Thu) - September 5 (Sun): Virtual Tokyo Marathon 2021 registration
- Mid-September: Board of Directors Meeting, 3rd Go/No-Go announcement
(1 month prior to the race day)
- September 18 (Sat) - October 16 (Sat): Virtual Tokyo Marathon 2021
- October 14 (Thu) - 16 (Sat): Tokyo Marathon 2021 Packet Pick-up/EXPO
- October 16 (Sat): Tokyo Marathon Friendship Run 2021
- October 17 (Sun): Tokyo Marathon 2021 Race Day
*This information is delivered to the applicable runners individually via email.